Our office is open and ready to assist you with your Family Law needs. We also offer Zoom video conferencing service for clients who prefer to meet remotely versus in person.
December 12, 2014.
posted in Misdemeanors

On behalf of The Law Office of Gustavo E. Frances, P.A.

Florida residents may not realize that when they receive a ticket in another state for speeding or any other traffic violation, that ticket follows them home. Authorities from the state that issued the citation will forward the ticket information to Florida, and it will be added to the person’s driving record.

If points were assessed for the traffic violation, those points will also be added to the driver’s record. Florida does not allow points acquired in another state to be removed by attending traffic school.

The motor vehicle departments of all 50 states and Washington, D.C., have websites that provide the information necessary to pay traffic tickets. If a driver does not pay a ticket from another state, their Florida driver’s license may be suspended. If this occurs, the ticket must be paid, and a payment receipt with the issuing court’s seal must be sent to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles in order for the suspension to be lifted. The receipt may be sent via fax, mail, or be presented in person at any Florida Driver License office. A D6 suspension reinstatement fee will also be owed if the ticket was paid after the suspension deadline.

When points are added to someone’s driving record, their auto insurance rates may increase. Additionally, too many points acquired within a certain amount of time can lead to a driver’s license suspension. Anyone who has received a driving citation that will place points on their records, such as a speeding ticket or a misdemeanor charge, may benefit from the aid of an attorney. In some cases, it may be possible to reduce the number of points added to someone’s driving record or to have them completely mitigated.

When you need a Fort Lauderdale criminal defense attorney, you can contact us by calling 954-533-2756 for a free consultation.

Awards & Certifications