Our office is open and ready to assist you with your Family Law needs. We also offer Zoom video conferencing service for clients who prefer to meet remotely versus in person.
January 26, 2018.
posted in Child Support

On behalf of The Law Office of Gustavo E. Frances, P.A.

It possible that your former spouse has forgotten about your kids and keeps acting like nothing is happening. Yet in the back of his mind, he knows it is totally wrong.  Failing to provide your children with their basic needs, besides being unfair, can have serious legal consequences.  Picture your former spouse behind bars because that’s exactly what may happen to him. But you can talk peaceably and have amicable child support-related discussions.

Sometimes one of the parents’ circumstances has significantly changed. In such cases, the court can help you modify your order. A parent that fails to provide child support can face criminal penalties.

What to Do

The first and most crucial step is to contact a local child support office. The Department of Revenue may be able to enforce child support.  A case will be filed and a hearing will take place in front of judges and officers, who may advise the judge about the best approach in your particular case.

Out of State Cases

A child support order can be enforced, even when a parent has moved out-of-state. There is a federal law called Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, valid not only in Florida but in all 50 states. So if a parent moved out without notifying a former spouse, the new state is not allowed to change the established child support order.

Registration of Child Support Orders

The child support order must be registered in the state where the order is going to be enforced. So if both parents are from Florida, there shouldn’t be any problems.  Also, if a parent leaves for a new job in another state, he or she is not required to register the order in the new state. Having the child support order registered in Florida is enough.  A support order can’t be registered in the new state without notifying the other parent. If this happens to you, it is best you hire an experienced Fort Lauderdale child support lawyer to handle your circumstances.


A parent that refuses to provide child support in Florida can face some serious penalties, including:

  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Pay fines
  • Seized bank accounts
  • Prison time

Florida can also freeze the delinquent parent’s account and report him or her to a consumer-reporting agency.

Your Free Initial Consultation

If you need help with enforcing a court-ordered child support obligation, you should hire a well-versed advocate to study your case and come up with the best solution, especially in circumstances where obligors have moved out of state and believe the child support order should not be enforced.

Our firm has pursued cases like yours with integrity. We are committed to help you through this difficult situation and help you reach the desired outcome. Your children and family deserve better.

When you need an attorney, you can contact us by calling at 954-533-2756 for a free consultation.

Awards & Certifications