Our office is open and ready to assist you with your Family Law needs. We also offer Zoom video conferencing service for clients who prefer to meet remotely versus in person.
November 10, 2018.
posted in Child Support

On behalf of The Law Office of Gustavo E. Frances, P.A.

In Florida and around the country, the population is facing a major opioid problem. For many, the path to addiction starts with painkillers prescribed by doctors then leads to heroin. For others, addiction has been a part of their lives for a while. The problem is a growing one for the state of Florida. We know that the opioid epidemic has broken up families and left many children without support.

Many parents divorce spouses who abuse drugs. The problem is that someone with a heroin addiction is not likely to pay child support. If the drug abuse is bad enough, it is likely that the non-addicted parent has custody already, leaving them with the full financial burden of raising the child.

Divorce and child support are already emotional issues. When drug addiction is involved, the situation can become even more complicated.

If you need a Fort Lauderdale child support attorney, turn to The Law Office Of Gustavo E. Frances, P.A. Our team is ready to help you.

Drugs And Divorce

The divorce rate in Florida is the third-highest among the states. Now consider that the state has a major opioid problem, and the issue is compounded. There are thousands of overdoses a year in the state attributed to opioids, with the latest reporting year seeing an increase of 67 percent over the previous year.

Florida’s family courts want to come to a resolution that is in the best interest of the child during divorce proceedings.

When an opioid addiction leads to a divorce filing, it is important to have all the documentation necessary when the court hearing comes up. This can include arrest records, conviction records, and medical records of the person who is suffering from addiction.

An attorney will help you through this process, as this will all be obtained during the process called “discovery,” which allows a party to get records, take depositions, and ask other questions.

Custody Modifications

There may come a time when one parent has to return to court to ask for a custody modification because the other parent started using drugs after the divorce. Again, it is important to obtain as much documentation as possible so that the courts can make arrangements as quickly as possible.

If there is an emergency, contact law enforcement and the Department of Children and Families so that the child can get out of danger before a court hearing is possible.

If You Are Addicted

If you are addicted, the Department of Children and Families wants to help. The goal of Florida’s family courts and the government is to keep both parents involved in their children’s lives if possible, and there are a number of new programs designed to specifically deal with the struggles of overcoming opioid addiction.

What Are Your Options?

At The Law Office Of Gustavo E. Frances, P.A., we know how hard dealing with divorce and opioid addiction can be. Let us help you through the process. You can contact us by clicking here or calling 954-533-2756 for a free consultation.

Awards & Certifications