On behalf of The Law Office of Gustavo E. Frances, P.A.
A good parenting plan can help parents with a busy schedule manage their time effectively and spend quality time with their children. It can provide many other benefits and make the whole divorce process, including child custody and visitation, easier to navigate. Some families feel more comfortable working with a mediator or a Fort Lauderdale child custody and time-sharing lawyer while others may feel they can do it on their own. Just remember in order to design an effective parenting plan, you will need to know what’s legally acceptable in your state and particular situation.
A Well-Designed Plan
There are many things to consider when creating the perfect parenting plan. Think about holidays, doctor visits, birthdays, and any other special event that comes to mind. Leave some space for the unpredictable. The first draft may not look too promising but it will eventually make your life easier. The most important thing is to make your time with your children special. Your children will ultimately adapt to the new routine. You can always make some changes along the way, depending on how your children adapt. Some things to keep in mind include:
- Design a plan that relieves stress.
- Communicate with your ex-spouse while you are working on it.
- A plan that creates a safe environment for your children.
- Your plan should allow you to focus on your children rather than having an argument with your ex-spouse.
- Establish a healthy routine for your children.
- Create the plan around the time your children spend with you but also consider the time your ex spends with the children.
- You can always go back to court and make any necessary modifications with the help of your Fort Lauderdale child custody attorney.
What Can You Include in Your Plan?
Every parenting plan is as unique as the needs of each family. The ideal plan will also include other family members that are involved in the children’s lives. Think about how your children will react or adapt to the new changes. Try to keep a stable routine and the people they enjoy being around. While it’s true divorce can affect everyone in the family, it’s also true that children should not suffer for their parent’s mistakes. In other words, make a parenting plan that’s fun and something they are looking forward to. Some elements to include:
- A clear schedule with specific details about holidays, school breaks, and vacations.
- Include how important decisions are made.
- Include transportation details and extracurricular activities.
- What expenses each parent will be covering.
- Outline responsibilities such as homework, field trips, medical appointments, special events, and so on.
- Create a system of how each parent will communicate and also keep records of disagreements when they arise.
- Evaluate the plan every few months and make the necessary adjustments.
There are many approaches to a parenting plan. With the help of a qualified Fort Lauderdale child custody and time-sharing lawyer, you will create the parenting plan that is most convenient for you and your family.
When you need an attorney, you can contact us by click here or calling at 954-533-2756 for a free consultation.